Monday, May 14, 2012

So Busy!

Wow! We have been so busy! I guess that will be my excuse for not posting sooner.

We had a great visit from Grandma Rita (G.G.) and Grandma Paula. They were in town to visit Uncle Aaron for Mother's Weekend at OSU and stayed a few extra days to see us. G.G. had never met Somerset, so it was a real treat to have her here. She hasn't been to Oregon since our wedding, so we were super excited to share our world with her.

We took them to the Zoo and the Japanese Gardens. The weather was glorious, so we thoroughly enjoyed both outings. The kids were so thrilled to have guests too, especially Somerset, who enjoyed the company of the grandmas.

I recently had a date with Somerset at the Children's Museum while Leo was in preschool. I LOVED spending time with her alone and am going to make an effort to spend more one on one time with her. When Leo was her age, he would whip through the museum at rocket speed. She was also exploring freely, but she stayed and listened to the singer/guitar player for 30 minutes straight. She was mesmerized, where as Leo would never stay put long enough to make it though even one song. She is a music nut!

Somerset's grasp of English has increased drastically. I feel she now understands most of what we tell her. She speaks in 2-3 word combos,  "There's Spiderman, Leo," "Where's Daddy/Leo?" She talks a lot and caretakers are always telling us how chatty she is. She will have full conversations with people, but most of what she says is indistinguishable.

She also loves to play with dolls and her white doggy. She tries to feed her dog and her babies. I love to see this nurturing side of her. She will be a good mommy someday.

Somerset was waking up between 5-5:30 a.m. every morning. That does not work for me and was causing a lot of grumpiness for everyone. We invested in a programmable night light that displays the moon and the stars when we want her to sleep and the sun when she is allowed to wake up. It is currently set to have the sun shine at 6 a.m. (Too early for me, but better). We are still in the training stage, but it seems as though she understands our expectations and that the light will work. YES!!!

Leo has been fantastic. He still challenges us, but tantrums are almost a thing of the past. He is just so dang smart and he is constantly testing us. We will tell him he can't go onto the street and he will stand at the edge of our curb and smile as if to say, "How far can I go before you discipline me?" He is mischievous for sure.

Leo is extremely loving. He often gazes into my eyes and declares that I am the best mommy in the world and that he loves me soooo much. For all his antics, he has a heart of gold. He is truly a sweet and tender boy. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for him and I am crazy in love with him.

The kids sure do love each other, but they are starting to squabble. It is usually over a toy. They always want the same toy at the same time.

I had a fantastic Mother's Day. My mom and I went to get pedi/mani the day before and then on Mother's Day, I was treated like a queen. I got to sleep in until 8:30 a.m. I don't think that has happened for 4 years! I also got many soap related gifts. I took a class on cold process soap making, Joe built me a soap mold and he bought me 3 handcrafted soaps from one of my favorite soap crafters. Leo thought I should have a new mug for my coffee, soap and a lipstick, so Joe helped him make this possible.

The weather was great on Mother's Day, so we relaxed at home and grilled. I love my family!


No comments: