Monday, January 4, 2010

Talking Machine

Within the last month, Leo has really developed his language skills. He has started speaking in some simple sentences beyond the 2 word combos he was using a month ago. He now says things like "help me down" or "I want milk."

He also loves to recall events, especially when he is falling asleep. The other night when returned to zoo lights with Tiffy, Martin, and Martin's sister, brother-in-law and niece Stella who is 4 months older than Leo. He LOVED Stella and the lights and when he was being rocked to sleep, he said "lights, Martin, Tiffy, choo-choo, Stella."

Leo remains very social and loves playing with older children and being around people. He becomes quite the ham and acts like a crazy banshee when he is excited to see someone. He'll run around screaming. He has learned the names of his favorite friends from the gym too.

Leo has also learned to manipulate us using affection. In the morning when I try to change his diaper and get him dressed for the day, he will say "big hugs" to avoid the inevitable. He will also ask for "cuddles" so that I will let him climb onto our bed. He will sometimes take the laundry basket and flip it upside down in order to climb on the bed. He thinks that if he says "cuddles," I will let it go by.

Recently, we have gotten on a nice sleep routine. Leo has been taking shorter naps and getting up later (6:45 am is average). About a month back, he was getting up as early as 5 am, but would make up for the lack of sleep by taking 3 hour afternoon naps. I hated that schedule! We have also stopped all nursing as of January 1. I know it was a long time coming, but I really depended on it to get him to sleep for his nap. Today is my first day of getting him down for his nap on my own without nursing. Wish me luck!

I still have a heck of time getting Leo to eat anything nutritious. I have tried everything, but I think my new approach will be to offer him food and if he doesn't eat it, that's it. I know this sounds simple, but in the past, I would offer him many nutritious choices and he would reject them all. I figure the kid won't let himself starve to death, but his poor eating habits are the bane of my existence.

My job continues to go well. Thanks goodness hours have been cut down, but this week, I am working 4 days, so I still am quite busy. It is so exciting to see savings grow!

No comments: